top of page

Rural And Northern Immigration Pilot

RNIP Claresholm

The program helps smaller rural and northern communities attract and retain foreign skilled workers to meet their economic development and labour market needs.


Participating Communities

As a candidate, you need to find a job with an employer in 1 of the participating communities.

If a community endorses you and you’re successful in applying for permanent residence, you’ll then move there to work and live there.

The communities participating in the pilot are:

  • North Bay, ON

  • Sudbury, ON

  • Timmins, ON

  • Sault Ste. Marie, ON

  • Thunder Bay, ON

  • Brandon, MB

  • Altona/Rhineland, MB

  • Moose Jaw, SK

  • Claresholm, AB

  • Vernon, BC

  • West Kootenay (Trail, Castlegar, Rossland, Nelson), BC

Work Experience

1 year of continuous work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the past 3 years.

Job Offer

You must have a genuine job offer to work in 1 of the participating communities which are permanent, full-time, and non-seasonal.

Skill level

Your job offer must be at the same skill level, 1 level above or 1 level below the NOC that applies to your work experience. However, if your experience is in NOC skill level D, then the job you’re being offered must be in the same occupation. For example

NOC 0 job offer: work experience in NOC 0 or A

NOC A job offer: work experience in NOC 0, A or B

NOC B job offer: work experience in NOC A, B or C

NOC C job offer: work experience in NOC B or C

NOC D job offer: work experience in the same occupation

International students

You’re exempt from the work experience criteria above if you’re an international student who graduated with a credential of a minimum of 2 years plus post-secondary full-time study or master’s degree or higher.

Language requirement

The minimum language requirements for each NOC category are NOC 0 and A: CLB/NCLC 6, NOC B: CLB/NCLC 5, NOC C, and D: CLB/NCLC 4.

Educational requirements

A Canadian high school diploma or an educational credential assessment (ECA) report if education foreign.

Settlement funds

Unless you’re already working legally in Canada when you apply, you must prove you have enough money to support yourself and any family members while you get settled in your community.

Applicants might have to meet some additional requirements by the endorsing community.

bottom of page