top of page

Self Employed

Self Employed

Self Employed Person

The Self-employed Persons Program allows people to immigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person.


If you’re interested in this program, you must:

  • have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and

  • Intent and ability to be self-employed in Canada and

  • be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada.

Selection Criteria


The pass mark is 35/100

Education-25 Points, Experience-35 Points, Age-10 Points, Language (IELTS/TEF)-24 Points, and Adaptability-6 Points.

Your Educational level is highly important.

Work Experience of 2 years in the last 5 years as either SELF-EMPLOYED or involvement in an eligible occupation at a world-class level or both (1 year of each).Participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics intends to capture PERFORMERS. World Class identifies persons who are known internationally. It also identifies persons who may not be known internationally but performs at the highest levels in their discipline.

Language: Write the IELTS General Training Exam

Demonstrate Intention and Ability

A person’s financial assets may also be a measure of intent and ability to establish economically in Canada. There is no minimum investment level for the self-employed person. Applicants must have enough funds to create an employment opportunity for themselves and maintain themselves and their family members.

Intent: Can be proven through BUSINESS PLAN, BUSINESS EXPERIENCE, PARTNERS, EXPLORATORY VISITS, FINANCES. Ability to be self-employed in this profession in Canada.

Eligible Occupations

Filmmakers, Producers, Directors, Actors, Comedians, Translators, Journalists, Musicians, Singers,  Music Teachers, Illustrators, Painters, Sculptors, Visual Artists, Freelance Journalists, Set Designers, Coaches, Trainers, Athletes, Choreographers, Theatrical or Musical Directors, and Impresarios, Librarians, Archivists, Conservators, Curators, Writing, translating and related communication professionals, Creative And Performing Artists, Photographers, Graphic Arts technicians and technical and coordinating in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing Arts, Announcers and other performers, Film and video camera operators, Audio and Video recording technicians, Pattern-makers, Theatre, fashion, exhibit, and other creative designers, interior designers and interior decorators, referees and related occupations.


1-year non-seasonal work experience in the last 3 years. CLB 4 in either English or French. A job offer is a must. ECA for foreign education of minimum of high school diploma or higher. Evidence of settlement funds.

bottom of page